L’Abord-A-Plouffe – Marianella
Marianella was established as a Toronto Province Novitiate, near Montreal on an estate. It became inadequate for the increasing number of novices. It was also the site of Madonna Magazine (1951-1957), which continued publishing from there until sale of the property.
Montreal – St. Ann’s parish
Established in 1854 to care for Irish immigrants, the parish was transferred to the Belgium Redemptorists 30 years later. As an English-speaking parish, it was transferred to the Toronto Vice Province in 1912. Playing a central role in the formation of its members, the monastery also housed the juvenate (1910-1912; 1919-1920 and 1941-1942), a temporary seminary (1925-1930), the Second Novitiate (1948-1955) and Pastoral Institute (1958-1962). Post-war industrialization crept through the district, decreasing the population. The parish was returned to the Archdiocese of Montreal and was dissolved in 1982.
Montreal – Lakeshore Experimental Project
In the West Island community of Pointe Claire, three young Toronto Redemptorists attempted to provide outreach in a non-traditional setting. The trio provided individual and marriage counselling, celebrated mass at a block party and joined civic groups concerned about youth and drugs. The project ended in 1972.
Montreal – St. Richard’s parish
In the suburb of Cote-Saint-Luc, Fr. Martin Foley of the Toronto Province served as pastor in this English-speaking parish. Upon his retirement in 1991, the parish returned to the Archdiocese of Montreal. In June 1997, the city of Cote-Saint-Luc renamed a city park, “Father Martin Foley Park”, in his memory and “in recognition and appreciation of his 22 years of dedicated service as parish priest of St. Richard’s Parish.”
Quebec – St. Patrick’s parish
The first Redemptorist house in Canada, St. Patrick’s parish served the English-speaking and Irish immigrants in the city. The parish was transferred to the Baltimore Province Redemptorists and then to the Toronto Vice-Province in 1912. The first church on McMahon Street was dedicated in 1833 and the second church in a basement on Grande Allee was blessed in 1915. A new monastery was completed in 1923 and also housed Second Novitiate (1924, 1927-1935, 1941) and the Pastoral Institute (1963-1964). In 1956, fire destroyed the basement church. Using the original foundation, the upper church was constructed and completed in 1958. St. Brigid’s Home, adjacent to the church, was also under the care of the parish. In 1989, a new church was built on Rue de Salaberry.
The Baltimore Province took responsibility of St. Lawrence Chapel, the Cove at Diamond Harbour on June 21, 1885. Associated with St. Patrick’s parish, the chapel was established in 1852. The name was changed to Our Lady of Perpetual Help. The parish was returned to the Archdiocese of Quebec in 1962.
The Redemptorists also served St. Joseph’s Mission chapel in Shannon (1957-1960) as well as a chapel in the new St. Lawrence College in St. Foy in 1964 until it became St. Vincent’s parish two years later. Since 1955, the Redemptorists also cared for St. Stephen’s congregation in Sillery.
When the Edmonton-Toronto Redemptorists withdrew from Quebec City, the parishes returned to the Archdiocese of Quebec.
Senneville – St. Gerard’s Novitiate
As a temporary Novitiate after Marianella at L’Abord a Plouffe, it was a country estate house, ill-equipped for a large group of novices. The search for a larger and permanent Novitiate was hastened by the lack of space.