Article by Pat Csinos, Director
We will soon be entering into our fifth year of providing comprehensive training in youth ministry to those people in Canada working directly with youth in Catholic parishes and high schools. As of September 2012, the following five sites will be hosting these courses for people seeking to develop the knowledge, skills and practical tools and techniques needed for creative and comprehensive ministry with youth.
- St. Peter’s Institute for Catholic Formation in London Ontario is beginning the first year of this two year cycle for the third consecutive time.
- The Archdiocese of Montreal begins the second year of this program in October. This year will provide the archdiocese with their second set of graduates from C.C.Y.M.S.
- The Diocese of Charlottetown is entering into their second year of this program this fall.
- The Office of Catholic Youth with the Archdiocese of Toronto has accepted the C.C.Y.M.S. torch from the University of St. Michael’s College as host for this program in Toronto. This summer marks at least 23 years that this program has been available to people in this area. They are offering 3 courses from July 17 – July 22. Although the Archdiocese of Toronto is the official host of this program, the University of St. Michael’s College remains a key collaborator as the students will continue to graduate from this educational institution.
- The Western Canadian Association of Catholic Youth Ministers (W.C.A.C.Y.M.) continues to host this program and will be offering 5 courses between July 17 and July 22, 2012.
We have two dioceses that are in conversation as possible hosts in the near future. The Archdiocese of Ottawa in January of 2013 after a brief hiatus and the Diocese of Winnipeg in the fall of 2013.
You may find it interesting to note that the graduation rate of the students in this program has increased significantly since the Redemptorists have taken on the management of this program in Canada in 2008.
2008 3 graduates
2009 9 graduates
2010 20 graduates
2011 12 graduates
2012 39 graduates (22 graduates to date with another 17 anticipated in the next two months)